[Geysers] Geyser Report 7/7 (Stephens)

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 8 06:24:35 PDT 2006

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS
LISTSERV AND MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE.

As Scott noted, I spent the day (7/7) at Fountain.

Fountain erupted at 0935 (d = 33) and 1905 (d = 34).  Clepsydra did not
pause after either of the Fountain eruptions.

Morning's Thief erupted at 0943, 0947 (30-35 ft) and 1920 and 1922 (20 ft).
It's easy to understand why visitors think the geyser behind Fountain that
is erupting is Morning.  They see a wall of water behind Fountain, look at
the map and the only other feature listed on the map is Morning, so they
assume the eruption is coming from Morning.  When Fountain is not erupting,
it is easy to see whether the water is coming from Morning or from Morning's
Thief, if you know that both features exist.  When Fountain is erupting the
steam is frequently blown in the direction of Morning and Morning's Thief so
you have to be standing where you can see both openings to determine which
opening is ejecting the water.

Spasm erupted at 08:39 (duration 42 minutes) and 14:51 (duration 60 minutes)
for an interval of 6h12 minutes.  (Spasm had ended both times before
Fountain erupted.)

Twig erupted at 10:10 (duration of 2h37m), starting just after Fountain
ended.  Twig erupted again at 17:05, I = 6h55m, duration 2h44 minutes.  This
time Twig started before exactly 2 hours before Fountain started, continued
through Fountain's eruption, and ended 10 minutes after Fountain ended.  (I
think I have seen all combinations of Twig starts and ends with respect to
Fountain's eruptions.)

Super Frying Pan erupted at 1012, 1235, 1446, and 1802--intervals of 2h23m,
2h11m, and 3h16m.  Durations were 7 to 10 minutes.

Jet--For the 1 1/2 hours prior to Fountain's 0935 eruption, Jet was erupting
at 7 to 9 minute intervals.  Jet had an eruption seconds after Fountain
ended at 1008, then didn't erupt again until 1502, an interval of 4h54m.
Jet's first interval after it resumed erupting was 24 minutes, then
intervals dropped to the 7-9 minute range until Fountain erupted again at
1905.  After ended at 1939, Jet had a regular eruption seconds after
Fountain ended, then two minor eruptions at 2 minute intervals (it was as if
Jet hadn't realized that Fountain had ended).  Then Jet had a regular
eruption five minutes later and another regular eruption 6 minutes later.
At that point I left and did not wait to determine how long Jet was going to
continue erupting after Fountain had ended.  (On May 31 Jet continued
erupting for 34 minutes after Fountain ended before taking a break for 2h49
minutes.)

I did not take any times for Bearclaw or any of the features in the
Kaleidoscope Group on July 7.

Lynn Stephens