[Geysers] Three geysers of note

Mario Durrant yellowstone17 at bridgernet.com
Tue Jul 4 21:12:22 PDT 2006

  <<And Echinus was overflowing. (P.S. The word is now out that Echinus has not erupted _at all_ since December 2005.)>>

  I have been thinking about Echinus and there are a couple of questions I have to throw out-- seems like this geyser currently has plenty of water but (?) has gradually lost its heat source-- Or is it possible that it has damaged itself like Excelsior and Monarch are speculated to have done to themselves?... I wondered this since Norris is the hottest basin in the Park and is likely to still have plenty of heat.  I remember Echinus 20 years ago and have looked through several pictures I have from 1986 and 1989 and it seems like it used to erupt from a lower pool and had (of course memory is fickle) longer and more frequent eruptions than I had seen over the past 6 years until this current dormancy.  I do remember it used to drain completely, but eruptions I watched in 2002, 2003 and 2004 seemed to have very little drain comparatively-- the water would drop maybe 1/3 or so from overflow and then start gradually filling to the next eruption... so anyway, my big question I guess is whether it's possible that an increase in the water supply to Echinus would affect eruptions negatively-- or as mentioned above whether it could have damaged itself at depth.  Echinus has always been a favorite, I hate to have it dormant!

  Thanks for letting me babble--

  Mario Durrant