[Geysers] Belated weekend geyser report (Kitt Barger)

barger barger at tritel.net
Sun Feb 26 22:03:29 PST 2006

Greetings fellow geyser gazers!
     I was in Yellowstone, in the Upper Geyser Basin, last weekend from Friday (2/17) to Sunday (2/19) for a brief, but glorious geyser fix.  Worland has been mostly dry and brown and I needed to see snow and feel winter.  I took the snow coach down from Mammoth to Old Faithful on Friday morning.  I savored the expanses covered by blankets of snow, the snow laden trees, and even the bison (although a group did delay our entourage of coaches and The Prenoth for approximately 5 miles).  We saw an eagle, several elk, and even a coyote.  I felt a smile creep over my face as I watched some of our younger passengers try out the snow slides at Gibbon Falls.  White Dome was in eruption (at 1149) as we drove past the Lower Geyser Basin.  It was sending up a tall plume of water and steam that glistened in the sunlight.
     Our coach finally pulled into the loading zone at the Snow Lodge and about 45 minutes later I was watching Old Faithful erupt at 1301.  I noticed Sawmill was erupting, then I hurried to the Visitor Center to check both the logbook and the prediction board, so that I could make plans for my first afternoon in the geyser basin.  The first thing I noticed was that Castle was unpredictable and there were no prediction times posted.  Aargh!  With a quick wave to Carolyn I headed out into the basin to see something erupt.  It was supposedly chilly, but I was decked out in thermals, fleece pants, snowpants, a sweater, more fleece, my down coat, hat, neck tube, fleece gloves, and my trusty old snowmobile boots.  (I was plenty warm.)  I decided to head toward Grand to see if it was ready.  As I passed Castle, I was able to see it splashing fitfully (like it does when it has minored).  I made a mental note to keep an eye on Castle and continued toward Grand as Turban started to erupt.  I relished the crisp crunch of iced-over snow, as I passed Crested Pool.  It was music to my ears.  (The snow depths varied from an inch on the warmer grounds to 3+ feet along parts of the paved path.)
     Sawmill is a year-round crowd pleaser and several people were oohing and ahing as each burst shot skyward, with the returning water leaving steam trails.  West Triplet was in eruption at 1330 and so I waited for the next Turban.  Sean arrived to download the previous Grand eruptions and then he headed back to the Visitor Center.  He was almost to Sawmill, when Turban started very energetically.  A breeze shifted the steam away from Grand's pool and I noticed it was very full.  Grand!  I yelled toward Sawmill.  Then I remembered to call the time over the radio.  I enjoyed the first couple minutes of the eruption and then started to write in my notebook.  (1345 Grand T2 - Oops, I decided to leave the 2 and hoped for a second burst.)  Ah, the power of positive thinking!  It was a T2Q ~11 minutes.
     Carolyn called Lion at 1354 and Rift was in eruption at 1400.  I was trying to decide between going to the Hill for another possible Lion eruption or checking on Riverside and Daisy.  I chose the latter.  Riverside was not in over flow, so I went to check on Daisy.  I was happy to be able to hike up the snow packed trail without snowshoes or skis.  (In previous years, I would have sunk up to my thighs, but many had used the trail, no snow had fallen in the past week, and a nice crust had formed.)  I did have to tread lightly, and the steam was gently blowing towards me, making it hard to tell what was going on at Daisy.  I watched Lion at 1515 near start from my Daisy post and also Old Faithful at 1600 i.e.  I left Daisy to meet up with Karen Burchard.  We checked Riverside one more time (no overflow) and headed back toward the Lodge by way of the paved path.  I kept looking over my shoulder and was finally rewarded with Daisy's steam cloud at 1625 i.e.  Plume and an intermittent Lion minor waved farewell as I headed home for the night.  (I had been told that the weather forecast overnight was going to get quite cold.)
     Saturday morning I awoke before the sun.  I had carefully laid out my many layers of clothing that would permit me to enjoy the day even if it was cold.  After I had readied my winter pack and put all of my layers on, I made my way to the Snow Lodge's Desk to visit briefly with Karen B. (who had been working since 6:30 AM).  I was told that the overnight low was -35.  I found it interesting how occasionally my eyelashes would stick together and I had to put my warm hand on them to release them.  I chuckled to myself as I remembered Bill telling me to make sure that I packed and used my sunlotion.  (At 0740, the only part of my body visible to anyone was a small slit between my ski hat and my neck tube which was up over my face and revealed only my eyes.)  I listened to the sound of my feet at they squeaked and crunched in the snow.  I heard one snowmobile drive past the Lodge and then all was quiet again.  Slowly I walked toward Old Faithful, taking each moment to enjoy the sights, sounds, and just the sheer pleasure of being there.  A visitor was leaving Old Faithful when I noticed it was in pre-play.  I stopped him and we both hurried forward as Old Faithful chose to erupt at 0754.  The temperature was approximately -26, so you can just imagine the height of the steam cloud.  As the visitor and I enjoyed the eruption, he said that he saw another big one erupt over there.  He said he was walking around Old Faithful and a geyser started erupting on the hill.  I listened to his description and after Old Faithful's eruption we walked to where he could see the geyser.  It was Beehive and it had erupted approximately 45 minutes before Old Faithful, just as the sun was creeping over the hill at 7ish.  We kept hearing crackling sounds and every so often something would pop up in the forest behind Old Faithful.  We finally identified the crackling sound as the ice melting as the runoff from Old Faithful flowed underneath the icy runoff channel.  I wished the visitor farewell, since he was returning to the Lodge to get his friends up, so that they might see the next Old Faithful eruption.  I headed toward Grand to see what it looked like, but the pool was still refilling, so I continued on to Grotto, Riverside, and then down to glance at Fan and Morter (the last two were covered with snow and still sleeping).  I returned to check on Grotto Fountain and was glad to see it was starting to splash.  I decided to wait for the eruption.  Depression 1033 and then Lion 1107i.e. came over the radio.  Finally, Grotto Fountain 1108 and then Grotto 1113.  I checked Giant's platform and found that it must have had a hot period during the start of Grotto Fountain, because the platform was now wet.  I headed for Grand, but paused at Oblong hoping for an eruption.  The water levels sank and Carolyn radioed from the Visitor Center that they "were seeing a lot of steam from Castle and was it erupting"?  I said I'd hike up above Oblong to check.  I called Daisy at 1135 near start and confirmed Castle at 1138 (in eruption) and later I confirmed that it was a major.  I continued on to Grand, since the electronic overnight time was 0428.  Sawmill started at 1145.  There were Turbans at 1154, 1217, 1236, 1254, 1313, and 1331.  During my Turban vigil, Oblong chose to erupt at 1223 i.e. (near start) although I never saw water, I could hear every burst which stayed hidden inside its steam cloud.  (I believe Dave G. was there for the eruption, since he was downloading the monitors.)  Uncertain also caught my attention at 1302 (as it joined Sawmill's eruption), but the snow made for slow going and I had to satisfy myself with a distant view of its eruption.  At 1317, Riverside's huge steamcloud burst forth along the treeline.  It had been several days since an eruption at Riverside had been reported to the Visitor Center, so they were glad to hear the radio call.  At 1349, I noticed Grand's pool looked excellent and then "BOOM"  Grand at 1350.  It was a G2Q approximately 11 minutes.  (Life was good. Two days and so far, two Grands with two bursts each.  The weather was almost balmy by this time.  I believe we were actually above zero.)
     I headed toward The Hill, calling Daisy en route at 1407 near start.  I took my chances and headed for Aurum.  I wanted to see the newly built fence and take photos.  The ice bowl wasn't as bad as I had seen it in previous years, but it still was treacherous and icy.  I appreciated the firm railing to hang on to as I made my way past Aurum, which looked ready.  :o)  Some visitors were over at Doublet Pool talking about the thumps, and I went over to enjoy the reverberations.  Dave G. called me on the radio and asked where I was.  I said that I was in the Aurum "suck zone".  He called to tell me that Giant had had a 13+ minute hot period that he had actually thought might lead to an eruption.  (I figured that meant it would erupt next Saturday, at which time I would be back in the land of spring (Worland that is, where preschoolers come dressed with only a light sweater or sweatshirt and the temperature is in the 40's and 50's).  I told Dave that I would keep my eyes on the area.  He asked how Aurum looked and I said, "Ooh, it's ready.  I need to switch back."  I switched and radioed Aurum at 1447 and took some photos.  Then I realized that I was on 6.5 and switched to the correct channel.  Carolyn was on the radio asking if Aurum was erupting.  I said yes and explained what I had done.  She had called Plume at 1444, so I headed around by way of Lion (which was icy from earlier eruptions) to Plume.  I enjoyed an Old Faithful eruption at 1533 followed by a close up of Plume at 1552.  Several visitors and I waited nervously as 4 bison decided to work their way across the boardwalk.  The cows went first and the two calves (yearlings) hesitated.  The last thing I wanted to do was get between these animals and their babies.  Finally the babies crossed the boardwalk and caught up with their moms.  We headed toward the bridge to get back over to the Old Faithful side.  It had been a long day and after checking the log book, I headed for the Geyser Grill to grab a hamburger before they closed at 5 PM.  After eating, both Karen and I returned to our lodging.  I read my book for several hours and then slept the sleep of exhaustion.
     Sunday arrived much to early.  This was my last day and I wanted to see as much as I could.  It was a little warmer than Saturday, but it would become more breezy as the day progressed (making it feel colder).  I stowed my gear and headed out into the basin.  I saw a huge steamcloud at 0740 (could it be Riverside?)  I headed for Grand.  At 0807, I saw Old Faithful, Tardy, and Sawmill in eruption.  It took me a moment to decipher what (Old F, Tar_y & S____ )meant.  My pen didn't want to write in the chilly temperatures.  I figured it was too early for Grand, but I liked walking the scenic route.  I had checked out Riverside which was puffing, but no over flow.  (Maybe it had been Riverside's steam cloud earlier.  I will never know.)  I returned to Giant, since it had benches that I could sit on.  I was keeping an eye out for Daisy and watching Oblong which had looked full when I left it to check Riverside.  I was enjoying a bagel and cheese when I noticed a huge steam cloud coming from Oblong.  Rats!  I gathered my pack and poles and hurried to Oblong.  Yes, it was erupting 0911 i.e. (near start), and I was in front of it, but I still didn't see any water.  The thumping was great though.  Carolyn had checked Daisy and said the left vent was splashing, so I headed up there on the North side hoping to see an eruption.  I watched a nice eruption of Old Faithful from Daisy at 1118 and then the breeze picked up and shifted toward the north.  Daisy 1120.  Now, I wished that I was watching from my usual side, but the breeze had constantly been blowing to the south for the past couple of days, which is why I had chosen the northern side.  It was a nice eruption, although not very photogenic.  After Daisy was done, I headed up the path and over to Grand.  West Triplet was erupting as I came into view at 1155 i.e.  At 1203, Turban erupted.  I was hoping that Grand wouldn't wait until 2 PM, since I was headed home (and needed to start in by 1 PM).  (Grand's overnight was 0438 E.)  At 1216, Rift made its presence know.  Our small group which included Jim and Doug Holstein groaned.  Then Turban and Yippee, Grand 1222!  It was a T1C, but I had seen 3 Grands in 3 days and I was able to leave the basin with a feeling of accomplishment as I headed for my ride home.  I saw one last Plume at 1240 and noticed that Little Squirt was i.e. at 1255.  I said my farewells and headed for my ride home.
     One of the snowcoaches broke down before Madison and the Prenoth (the luggage coach) had to shuttle the occupants to Madison, while a replacement coach drove down from Mammoth to retrieve the passengers.  This delayed our return, but it also let us see a gorgeous spectacle after we passed Norris Geyser Basin.  The sun was setting and a spike of red shot toward the sky from the horizon.  I have seen photos of this, but I had never seen it happen before.  It was beautiful.  As darkness, closed in on Mammoth, we made it to the hotel, where I gathered up my belongings and returned to my vehicle.  My Suburban started right up, but the partially filled gallon water jug (that had stayed in the car while I was gone) took several days to thaw.  I had a wonderful trip and would like to thank all of you who made my trip a success.  (You know who you are.)  :o)  As for the rest of the gazers, there's only a few more months until spring.  See you on the boardwalks.  Kitt Barger