[Geysers] More help on Grand--Grand Geyser Basin as historic name

lynn stephens lstephens.eagle at mail.sisna.com
Mon Feb 20 01:46:42 PST 2006

Probably Lee, MA, Rocco, Dick Powell, Mike Keller, or someone else who is into the early history of the Park and/or has access to a more extensive library than I do--

I have an item that says

"Grand Geyser Basin is the historic name for Upper Geyser Basin thermal springs area within the greater Firehole River drainage basin.  This basin is host to Grand and Giant geysers.”

I checked Wonderland Nomenclature and Lee lists Grand Geyser and Grand Group, but doesn't have an entry for Grand Geyser Basin.  I checked Allen and Day (who seem to agree with  Peale that "it is merely a coincidence when it [Turban] acts in concert with the Grand p. 182) and didn't find any reference to "Grand Geyser Basin."

Working backward, the earliest Yellowstone Park Guide (1894) I have uses "Upper Geyser Basin", as do Stanley's [1878] Rambles in Wonderland, and the three Hayden reports.

Does anyone know a "historical" source that used "Grand Geyser Basin" as the name for Upper Geyser Basin?  (Maybe Henderson?)

Thanks again.

Lynn Stephens