[Geysers] Geyser Report 8/25 (Stephens)

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 25 18:43:09 PDT 2006

As has been reported, Grotto has been having "intermediate" to "long"
eruptions such that there has been a "recovery hot period" every
day--Tuesday at 1006, Wednesday 729ie, Thursday 0847.  Grotto Fountain was
ie at 1558 8/24 and Grotto at 1613 (Thank you Mary Beth Schwarz).  Stephen
Eide got the stop of Grotto this morning at 11:20.

The recovery hot period started at 1846 and lasted 15 minutes 45 seconds,
but no Giant.  Mastiff was half the height of the cone and getting wide at
the 9 minute mark.  Turtle erupted 6 to 8 inches high.  Cave never did much
more than burble about an inch high.  The wind was blowing the steam
directly toward the cage so it was sometimes difficult to see.  Mastiff
started dropping about the 11 or 12 minute mark (I was calling the hot
period and didn't get things written down very well.)  Bijou came on about
the 13 1/2 minute mark (thank you Rocco).  Although Feather never stopped
until the 15 3/4 minute mark, during the last 3 minutes or so of the hot
period the action from the platform vents was more like a restart than
continuous action.  Giant had some yell generating vertical surging, but
didn't erupt.

On other matters--There were very many gazers around this morning, so I
decided to go up on Geyser Hill to wait for Beehive.  Wrong decision.
Beehive finally erupted at 15:59.  The Indicator started three minutes AFTER
Beehive and erupted for 32 seconds.

Monday I went over to Lone Pine (I had seen an empty crater Sunday and Rocco
had seen it down about a foot 4 hours later) and finally saw my first Lone
Pine eruption of the summer.  After the recovery hot period Tuesday morning,
I decided to go see Lone Pine again, figuring that if it a short interval, I
didn't want to arrive at an empty crater, and that if it did an average
eruption, I would get rainbows.  Instead it waited until the sun had gone
down behind the hill so far that even the far side of the lake was no longer
sunlit--a 32 1/2 hour interval.  I think I've seen enough eruptions of Lone
Pine for this year.

Sunday evening I saw Great Fountain at 2207, and didn't stay for the
duration.  AFter I got back from Lone Pine Monday afternoon, Rocco said
Great Fountain still hadn't gone into overflow, so I went out there.  It
finally erupted at 16:49 for 18 hour 42 minute interval.

No, I haven't been to Grand lately so I am not responsible for the longer
intervals it has been having.  :)

Lynn Stephens