[Geysers] Webcam reporting protocol

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 23 07:04:55 PDT 2006

>So what will be the new protocol for reporting
>winter/out of season eruptions on Geyser Hill?
>
>Something like:
>Beehive 1127wc ???

Old Faithful eruptions extracted from the webcam in prior years have been
coded "c" and I see no reason to change this practice for other eruptions
that are extracted from the webcam.

>Will these be recorded in the logbook?

Probably not.  If someone in the Visitor Center sees them on the webcam,
then they MAY be recorded in the logbook.  (NOTE:  The OFVC staff frequently
does not hear eruptions reported on the radio, so those eruptions are often
not getting reported in the logbook either.)  No one in the past has been
assigned responsibility to extract reports on the listserv to include them
in the logbook and I know of no plans to do so in the future.  It can take a
lot of time to match times reported via some other method against times
already recorded in the logbook.

>And for
>that matter, can the time on the screenshot be
>considered accurate for record keeping purposes?

No, the time on the screenshot cannot be considered "accurate."  In the past
the webcam computer has been as much as two minutes off.  This morning it is
was off by about a minute (I ddn't try to check to see how many seconds, but
the minute was off when compared to atomic timekeeping pieces).
Additionally, until everyone has streaming video, I believe there may be a
lag of up to 30 seconds or so between picture captures.  Some of Donnie
Grisso's times for Beehive corresponded to visual times; others did not.

One question that was not asked was "If they are to be reported, to whom
should they be reported?"

I don't believe NPS staff has time to compile reports on eruptions captured
via the webcam to enter them into the OFVC logbook.

Since I don't believe the electronic logbook should include times that are
not also recorded in the OFVC logbook, I won't consider entering them into
the electronic logbook except when I am physically present in the Park and
have access to the OFVC logbook.

Admittedly, I have been complaining that the OFVC logbook is bare because
very few people bother to visit the Visitor Center to turn in times.  Maybe
someone on the listserv wants to set up a logbook for the webcam times that
are submitted and make it available to everyone.

Lynn Stephens