[Geysers] Norris/100Springs Plain

Smokey s at weststartv.com
Tue Aug 15 15:47:25 PDT 2006

> This place is immediately at the base of the Ragged Hill where the
> trees were killed and are blown down. It is drained by a stream that
> flows toward the northeast. All, or nearly all, of the springs are on
> the south side of the stream, and trying to walk among the springs
> would be rather stupid -- it is a very active, very hot place.
>
> Unfortunately, since my visit was only to check the basics of Norris,
> and since I have plenty of photos of the place, I did not have my
> camera with me. Also, I have no idea when I could possibly get back --
> I will if I can, but what with van tours (like today) and other
> things, it's likely to be a while (if at all).
>
> Scott Bryan

Thanks Scott!  If you were into the area called "The Gap" in Ragged
Hills on the older maps, then you did not see Elk Geyser.  And, yes, I
am sure about the location.  ;)  Elk is approximately 250 to 300m south
of Cinder Pool.  It is out onto the flat of 100 Springs Plain.  The
small creek that flows to the east out of "The Gap" flows to the south
of Elk Geyser and then bends to the north and joins Tantalus Creek below
where it drains out of Porcelain Basin.  Tantalus then flows around The
Reservoir and turns back to the west below Cinder Pool and then down to
the old weir and into Gibbon River.
I am making the guess that you saw an unnamed feature in "The Gap" that
has been active off and on since the area started heating up and
producing thermal features in 1995.  There is a large pool to the west
of the feature that, at one time, was three separate features that
expanded and joined.  The feature I am thinking about it really the
"head" of the small creek that drains the thermal field to the east and
into 100 Springs Plain.
I have my digital USGS maps here.  I will do a crop and mark the Norris
area for these features and post it here.  Hopefully that will narrow
things down.
All of my data, photos, lab results, temps, pHs, maps, daily journals,
logs and the beginning of my entire write up of "The Gap" from its start
in April 1995 to December of 2005 are in Billings in storage at the
moment.  So, I will not be having access to them anytime soon.

Take Care,

Smokey