[Geysers] Norris The Gap

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Tue Aug 15 06:07:02 PDT 2006

In a message dated 8/14/2006 6:09:21 PM Mountain Standard Time,
s at weststartv.com writes:

The  location of "Elk Geyser" is approximately 500 meters to the
east-northeast  of the east end of "The Gap" in Ragged Hills.  The last
time I saw it  there was a large pool (Approx. 10m in diameter) and there
were two vents  toward the west end that were bubbling.  There is a
fairly large tree  at the south end of the pool that lays into the pool
somewhat.
There  were two very active features between "Elk Geyser" and "The Gap".

First, I must ask if that distance and direction of "500 meters to the
east-northeast" is correct. If so, then the geyser I saw is in a very different
location -- or I've alsways been mistaken about just where "The Gap" is. Can you
 describe the location of The Gap with respect to Cinder Pool, and/or where
Tantalus Creek exits the area, and/or etc.?

I, too, got Jerry's photos. Indeed, they show features near Cinder Pool  and,
therefore, rather far from the place I'm talking about. I dropped down from
near Forgotten Fumarole, crossed the stream at Firecracker Spring, and then
walked northwest and west near the base of the Ragged Hills.

Unfortunately, I find that the photocopies of the Norris thermal map that I
have here do not extend far enough west to include the area I visited, and I
also seem to not have a copy of the USGS Professional Paper 1456 about Norris
--  the full map and the report seem to be in California. Therefore, I have to
do  some guessing here. Should somebody be able to provide a scan of a map, I
might  do better.

Cinder Pool is within map grid C3 (approx. C3-600E-150S). Tantalus Creek
flows southwest from there into grid C2, then west. I think it departs the area
through C1. (Again, I am guessing, trying to visualize the map and area in my
mind's eye.) If I am correct in this, then the geysers I saw would probably
be  within grid area D2 or, very likely, D1. The big geyser is one of the
westernmost of all the springs in that little valley.

This place is immediately at the base of the Ragged Hill where the trees
were killed and are blown down. It is drained by a stream that flows toward the
northeast. All, or nearly all, of the springs are on the south side of the
stream, and trying to walk among the springs would be rather stupid -- it is a
very active, very hot place.

Unfortunately, since my visit was only to check the basics of Norris, and
since I have plenty of photos of the place, I did not have my camera with me.
Also, I have no idea when I could possibly get back -- I will if I can, but
what  with van tours (like today) and other things, it's likely to be a while (if
at  all).