[Geysers] Bryant's PICTURESQUE AMERICA

Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov
Fri Apr 14 08:23:44 PDT 2006

Scott---I've taken a look at William Cullen Bryant's PICTURESQUE AMERICA,
1872 edition, the large ornate book that we have here, and here is what
I've found.

There are many artists represented in this book. Harry Fenn is foremost as
far as the number of drawings he has in here, but there are many others,
which I've listed below.

The frontispiece is by Fenn. The opening page is by R. Hinchelwood. The
Preface is written by Bryant. The table of contents lists both author and
artist. Many of the artists' drawings are by Fenn but others listed in the
table of contents are R. Swain Gifford, Granville Perkins, Alfred R. Waud
(well described by Peter Hassrick in his Yellowstone art book), L.D.
Woodward, W.L. Sheppard, C. Griswold, William Hart, James D. Smillie, and
W.H. Gibson.

In addition to ink and woodcut drawings, there are steel engravings in the
book. Both artist and steel engraver are listed in the table of contents as
follows:

Artist                         Engraver
Homer Martin                   S.V. Hunt, R. Hinshelwood
Thomas Moran                W. Wellstood
A.C. Warren                        D.G. Thompson
A.S. Hazeltine                     E.P. Brandard

Your cave illustration is indeed identified in the table of contents as
"Weyer's Cave, Virginia."

The Yellowstone artists are mostly identified for the portion of the book
titled "Our Great National Park," pp. 292-315.  The illustrations and their
artists are as follows:

(Looking south from Livingston into Paradise Valley)---Harry Fenn
Canon of Yellowstone---A. Harral
Gorge of Yellowstone---unsigned, but I recognize it as a Moran drawing from
Scribner's Monthly. This is the drawing that is touted as being the very
narrow gorge that Moran drew before he went to Yellowstone.

Upper Yellowstone Falls---Thomas Moran
Lower Falls---"HF" colophon at lower left, meaning Harry Fenn.
Cliffs on the Yellowstone---"Filmer"
Tower Creek---HF colophon at lower left and "WJL" [W.J. Linton] at lower
right
Tower Falls---HF colophon at bottom left and W.J. Linton at bottom right.
Yellowstone Lake---HF colophon and "Langridge" (?) at bottom right.
First Boat---HF initials
Hot Spring Cone (Fishing Cone)---unsigned. This may be by William Henry
Holmes, as a very similar drawing by him appears in the Hayden reports.
Hot Springs---"Meeder"
Liberty Cap---unsigned.
Mud Springs---"Harley"
Soda Springs---"Harley"
Giant Geyser---HF initials at bottom left and W.J. Linton at bottom right.

This Bryant book is one of MANY of this type that were published in the
1870s. I know of at least six of this "travel America" type and most had
BEAUTIFUL woodcut drawings and/or steel engravings of Yellowstone as well
as many other places in the country. The ALDINE magazine published large
drawings of Yellowstone (similar to these) in the 1870s.

I hope this information is useful.

Lee Whittlesey
Park Historian, NPS
YNP

                      TSBryan at aol.com
                                               To:       Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov
                      04/13/2006 06:38         cc:
                      PM EDT                   Subject:  Re: Bryant

In a message dated 4/13/2006 7:26:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,