[Geysers] Early YNP engravers

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Thu Apr 13 19:51:28 PDT 2006

In a message dated 4/13/2006 5:11:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tddandngd at adelphia.net writes:

Looking  again at both the xerox of the original engraving of Giant and the
reproduction in the Tejada-Flores book, the name at the bottom of  the
engraving is W. J. Linton with "SC" after the name.  Tejada-Flores
indicates that  W. C. Bryant was the editor of  the book and shows his name
on the reproduced title page and  preface. My xeroxed copy of the original
does not have him on the  title page or the preface?!?!?

Curious -- now that Genean says the above, the name on my copies is clearly
this "W. J. Linton." Whoever he is! So much for Harry Fenn (and for the
opinion  of experts). Further research today showed that a whole lot of illustrators
were  involved in that book, and certainly not just Fenn. Curious, therefore,
the  statements in "Who Was Who in American Art" that cites this book as
being Fenn's  [period]. However, in a list of nhumerous names that I found online
today, this  Linton is NOT among them!

Fun.