[Geysers] Diurnal Cycles

jacross jacross at lamar.colostate.edu
Mon Nov 28 21:58:51 PST 2005

Here is some more information on the diurnal cycle of CO2 emission.  Quoting
from "Dynamics of
carbon dioxide emission at Mammoth Mountain, California" by John D. Rogie,
Derrill M. Kerrick, Michael
L. Sorey, Giovanni Chiodini, and Devin L. Galloway, *Earth and Planetary
Science Letters* 2001 v. 188, p.
535-541:

"Rising atomspheric pressures retard viscous gas flow [from depth to the
surface] and falling
atmospheric pressures enhance viscous gas flow..."

Elsewhere in the paper, the authors show that atmospheric pressure varies with
24 and 12-hour cycles.
The following website explains that because the cycle has more with solar
heating than with gravity,
hence the sun exerts a strong effect and the moon exerts almost none at all.

http://www-das.uwyo.edu/~geerts/cwx/notes/chap01/diurnal.html

The explanation of these cycles was given by Bernhard Haurwitz.  I haven't
been able to track down his
papers yet, but his research on the atmosphere is well known.

I don't claim to have found THE solution to the geyser diurnal cycle problem,
but this is the first time I
have ever found anything that could possibly be a solution.

Jeff Cross
jacross at lamar.colostate.edu