[Geysers] Pathetic Little Hole

Stephen J. Eide seide1 at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 27 23:37:09 PST 2005

>From Stephen Eide,

My observation on Improbable/PLH was that the old vent is being blown
out by this new activity.  When I first saw it on 10-31 there were two
vents in the main pool and one additional hole, the old vent was
farthest from the boardwalk (near Plume), the new vent was closer to the
boardwalk and there was an additional hole to the right in the run off
channel that was connected to the two vents under the water level, it
did not erupt during the two majors I saw.  The old vent's sinter cone
was visible in the far side of the pool but somewhat eroded.  Both vents
were involved in the two major eruptions I saw for the water phase, the
bulk of the steam phase came from the old vent.  Two days later on 11-2
the crater had increased in size, the sinter bridge between the two
vents and the hole to the right had been blown out making just one big
pool.  Some of the old vent's sinter had also been removed so it looked
like a crescent moon,  When the old vent was active during minors on
11-2-05 part of the activity came from outside of the old sinter lined
vent, indicating to me that the old vent was being undermined on at
least two sides.  I expect all of the old vent is gone now if the major
eruptions have continued.  Tara estimated the size of the pool to be
about a foot wider in both dimensions a few days after I last saw it.  I
know estimates vary widely between two gazers, but it sounds like it was
still enlarging the hole.  I'd like to see it this winter but so far it
looks like I won't be making a winter visit.

Stephen