[Geysers] Pathetic Little Hole

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 29 01:16:51 PST 2005

>I expect all of the old vent is gone now if the major eruptions have
>continued.  Tara estimated the size >of the pool to be about a foot wider
>in both dimensions a few days after I last saw it.  I know estimates >vary
>widely between two gazers, but it sounds like it was still enlarging the
>hole.

Thanks to Steve E. for the information about PLH/Improbable (and the great
photos).  It was really difficult to see what had happened with the vent
because of the murkiness of the water in the pool.  It was impossible, for
example, to discern which vent may have been the old vent and which was the
new.  I can confirm that I saw bubbles from only two vents, not three.
There was clear erosion in the runoff channel where runoff had scoured the
hillside enough to reveal solid sinter.  My size estimate of the pool was
thorougly discussed with several other gazers standing on the boardwalk at
the same time.

--Tara Cross
fanandmortar at hotmail.com