[Geysers] Giantess and others May 28

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sat May 28 16:31:20 PDT 2005

So the Memorial Day weekend opened with an eruption of Giantess. It started
at 10:02 and seemed entirely normal until we realized that it had been going
for  nearly an hour without pause and without any really strong bursts. Sure
enough.  The steam phase finally began at 1220, extraordinarily late and
decidedly weak.  But still, it was Giantess. (P.S. M A Bellingham and the
"Yellowstone Loonies"  were _AT_ Vault when the eruption of Giantess started! We in the
lower parking  lot could her their screaming.)

The initial Vault eruption was at 1416, so a relatively short 4h 14m after
Giantess.

Beehive had preceeded Giantess by exactly 20 minutes.

Plate enjoyed Giantess, having eruptions at 1014, 1037, 1115, 1147, etc.,
and it was still having eruptions as of 1501.

After the start of Giantess, Plume did not erupt until 1119 -- I don't have
the time of a previous Plume, but this was a long interval. Subsequent
intervals, though, were 57, 57, 50, and 53 minutes, which is perfectly normal  these
days.

Other things:

Grand at 1350 was a T1C, interval 8h 20m.

Giant had a good hot period at 1240, duration about 9 1/2 minutes, this
following two weak hot periods during the morning.

I'm able to note one Daisy interval of 2h 37m.

Great Fountain erupted at 1325 and reportedly had a superburst. (Firehole
Lake Drive opened today, as did Fountain Flats Drive.)

Oh, and you might be interested to know that Fan and Mortar erupted in the
night, interval a bit longer than 5 days.

Scott Bryan

P.S. Per the park paper, the lower gas station was not to open until June  3,
but it AND the restrooms opened today. Maybe just for the weekend? Traffic is
 horrendous.