[Geysers] Help with student presentation

Ralph Taylor ralpht at iglou.com
Wed May 25 19:23:57 PDT 2005

Karen,

The Old Faithful prediction formula was a linear regression formula, derived
by fitting a straight line to the set of duration and subsequent interval
points.  Since the eruptions have become strongly clustered about a "short"
and "long" interval, predictions are made by using the mean long interval
for long duration eruptions and the mean short interval for short duration
eruptions.  We generally use the data for the past month in setting the
prediction.

For Grand we track the intervals for the past month and each week over the
summer look for changes.  In the case of Grand the window is set to include
95% of the intervals.  Generally the mean (average) interval is the center
of the window, but the prediction interval is also adjusted so the short end
of the window includes all of the observed intervals on the principle that
people would rather wait for an eruption than miss the eruption because the
prediction was too long.

At present the two geysers that show the strongest correlation between
duration and the subsequent interval are Grotto and Spouter.

Ralph Taylor