[Geysers] Help with student presentation

Karen Webb caros at aros.net
Wed May 25 14:20:42 PDT 2005

 From Karen Webb
Hi gang:
    My little boy is trying to put together a presentation on how
geysers are predicted.  My recollection is that Marler actually
developed a formula from which the current predictive values for OF
arose but all I've been able to find is several versions of the table
that says "if eruption is X minutes long, predict next eruption in Y
minutes."  Can anyone help us out with the actual math that gave rise to
this?  Also, for the bigger geysers like Grand with longer windows, is
the predictive interval based on a certain number of previous eruptions
(like do they get the interval from the average of Z number of previous
eruptions, or does it take a certain number of eruptions with a shorter
or longer interval to prompt the VC to change this interval)?
    Thanks for any info or resources anybody has.
Karen