[Geysers] Geyser report May 1: Silex, etc.

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Sun May 1 20:55:08 PDT 2005

Just a few addenda to Scott's report:

After erupting at 0937 on 4/30, Beehive erupted today (5/1) at 1621.  It was
having nice splashing from about 1130 onward, with very nice splashing in
the 40 minutes or so before the eruption.  I saw the Close-to-Cone Indicator
bubbling several times, and finally about 40 minutes before Beehive one of
the sputs behind started up.  The Indicator was at 1613.

Little Squirt was i.e. at 1135 and had started within the 2 hours prior to
that.

Plume continued to chug along at 55-60 minutes.

I got lucky and saw Depression today at 1229ie.  Still no visual closed
intervals, but the data loggers have recorded some very long intervals this
spring.

As for Aurum, it had erupted at 1515 and I waited there from about 1800
until 1935 and it did not erupt.  The little sput next to it was splashing
to a few inches when I arrived but quit after about 15 minutes.  Today,
Aurum had intervals of 3h2m and 3h11m.  Because I wasn't waiting for it.

I watched Little Brother for about an hour this evening and saw the same
behavior as Scott described.  The vent active in North Sister is Three
Crater, and as Dave Goldberg reported a couple of weeks ago, eruptions of
Three Crater result in longer intervals of Little Brother.  Most eruptions
of little brother were 5-10 feet with the occasional burst to 10+.

After erupting at 0828 this morning Grand followed at 1604 (G1C).  Yes, I
did get pulled away from the final minute in order to sprint to Geyser Hill
for Beehive.

Giant had another hot period at 1304 (d=7m33s) with Mastiff to a maximum of
2 feet.  Grotto started what turned out to be a marathon at 1336.

Artemisia was seen at 2003ie yesterday and at 1234ie today.

Finally, we got the report (a bit too late, unfortunately) that Silex was
active this afternoon.  I did not hear any details but it was around 1500.
By the time I got there around 1740, it was having boiling episodes with
small splashes but it was only about a foot below overflow and still rising.
  Celestine was boiling to 2 feet periodically.

It's great to be back in the basin on my first trip as a visitor since 1999.
  Hope to see many of you on Memorial Day.

- Tara Cross