[Geysers] Geyser reports April 30 and May 1

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sun May 1 13:20:25 PDT 2005

I didn't write yesterday (4/30) because I had rather little to report. I  did
get our first reasonably closed interval on Fountain, from 0727ns (d>26  min)
to 1151 (d=25 min), a pleasing interval of about 4h 24m. "Old Cone  Geyser"
was active at the time of the 1151 Fountain.

Separately 40 minutes apart, Jim Holstein and I saw (from the road) Great
Fountain in eruption.

Beehive had an interval of 19h 35m. Grand had an interval of 9h 17m. Aurum
provided two intervals, 3h 30m and 3h 05m. Tara Cross gave up on the next
interval, though.

Little Brother is active on a pattern very different from what I've seen in
the past. Intervals are on the order of 20 to 40 seconds (only). Timing 13
eruptions, I had durations ranging from (all approximately) 2 to 6 seconds
(only). Some jets nevertheless get up to 8 or 10 feet... At least one of the
vents within North Sister is active, but I don't know which one.

Today (5/01) I was only in the basins for about 4 hours -- back home to  work
on the book.

Grand at 0828 was a -1C. Giant had an excellent hot period starting at  0850.
The duration wasn't the longest, at 8m 15s, but for a time Mastiff was
easily 4 feet high, India was fully covered within 2 minutes of the start, and
Turtle got up to about 1 foot. However, the whole thing ended exceedingly
abruptly, like a switch had been thrown.

Whatever was bugging Fountain last week seems gone. I got two in  eruption
Fountain times today, and the news is again good. It was 0806 ie, then  1140ie
(end at 1148), an interval of only about 3 1/2 hours.

Silex has not erupted since last Tuesday.

Scott Bryan

P.S. The book is my little one, "Geysers: What They Are and How They Work."
The copy edited manuscript is in hand and I need to get it and my  comments in
the mail back to Missoula tomorrow. As soon as the editor has  it, she'll get
all modifications into the file and send it off to the designer  and
composer. The plan is for it to go to press (printer in Hong Kong) by about  June 1
(maybe before). I don't know when it will be available -- Mountain Press  is
listing it as a fall release. Size 8 3/8 X 9 inches, 64 pages,  full-color with
about 76 photos. Preliminary price,  $12.