[Geysers] YNP online slide file--comment from Whittlesey

Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov
Mon Mar 14 13:19:15 PST 2005

I spoke to Yellowstone photographer (and NPS slidefile guru) Jim Peaco
today, and he tells me that he is open to suggestions of any kind in case
of misidentifications or place names problems with regard to the park's
thermal slides. You can send such to him at Jim_Peaco at nps.gov or to me and
I'll get them to him.

He expressed surprise that people were so quick to find the page
(www.nps.gov/yell/slidefile), as "we just now got it up." He is happy you
guys are looking at it.

Lee Whittlesey
Park Historian

                      TSBryan at aol.com
                      Sent by:                 To:       geysers at wwc.edu
                      geysers-bounces at w        cc:       (bcc: Lee Whittlesey/YELL/NPS)
                      wc.edu                   Subject:  [Geysers] YNP online slide file

                      03/12/2005 11:08
                      AM EST
                      Please respond to
                      geyser
                      observation
                      reports

I want to thank Jeff for alerting us to the cahnge in the YNP slide file. I
have been poring through the pages, at random, and finding some rather
interesting things along the way, such as the photos showing Union in
eruption in 1955 and 1970 (plus no date). That the "tomato soup sort of
pool" at Rabbit Highlands was called Brick Spring by Marler. I don't recall
that fact.So, I hope you all will pore through the file, too.

And I hope the Park will be receptive to corrections, as I have below.
(Lee: who would be the correct person/address to send such things to?)

First to open a bit of controversy: A photo in the Upper Geyser Basin
section, #5866, is labeled as showing Giant Geyser (it does) in _August
1964_. "We", of course, have it on record as September 18, 1963. Are "we"
certain there was only the 1963 and no 1964 eruption? I rather suspect that
the 1964 date was written on the slide by the photographer -- who, after
all, was there.

Slide #05103 shows Big Cub, not Lion as labeled.

There is a series labeled as "Steady geyser; Upper Geyser Basin" that in
fact show Spouter Geyser.

Throughout, names need to be corrected -- I'm sure Lee will agree heartily
-- to read "Geyser" rather than "geyser" and to correct such things as
"Minuteman geyser" to "Minute Man Geyser". This stuff is for outside use,
and I'd sure hate some author of history use the image of Moran's "Groto
geyser". And it is "Twin Geysers", not "Twin geyser". Etc.

One "unknown" I can clarify -- Shown under mud pots at Norris, photo #05424
at Sylvan Springs shows Coffin Spring.

Things like the above ought to be corrected -- but believe me, this are
minor quibbles as far as I'm concerned. The slide file is great.