[Geysers] YNP online slide file

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sat Mar 12 08:08:45 PST 2005

I want to thank Jeff for alerting us to the cahnge in the YNP slide file. I
have been poring through the pages, at random, and finding some rather
interesting things along the way, such as the photos showing Union in eruption in 1955
and 1970 (plus no date). That the "tomato soup sort of pool" at Rabbit
Highlands was called Brick Spring by Marler. I don't recall that fact.So, I hope you
all will pore through the file, too.

And I hope the Park will be receptive to corrections, as I have below. (Lee:
who would be the correct person/address to send such things to?)

First to open a bit of controversy: A photo in the Upper Geyser Basin
section, #5866, is labeled as showing Giant Geyser (it does) in _August 1964_. "We",
of course, have it on record as September 18, 1963. Are "we" certain there was
only the 1963 and no 1964 eruption? I rather suspect that the 1964 date was
written on the slide by the photographer -- who, after all, was there.

Slide #05103 shows Big Cub, not Lion as labeled.

There is a series labeled as "Steady geyser; Upper Geyser Basin" that in fact
show Spouter Geyser.

Throughout, names need to be corrected -- I'm sure Lee will agree heartily --
to read "Geyser" rather than "geyser" and to correct such things as
"Minuteman geyser" to "Minute Man Geyser". This stuff is for outside use, and I'd sure
hate some author of history use the image of Moran's "Groto geyser". And it is
"Twin Geysers", not "Twin geyser". Etc.

One "unknown" I can clarify -- Shown under mud pots at Norris, photo #05424
at Sylvan Springs shows Coffin Spring.

Things like the above ought to be corrected -- but believe me, this are minor
quibbles as far as I'm concerned. The slide file is great.