[Geysers] Geysers in Tibet

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sun Mar 13 20:27:30 PST 2005

First about Geyser, Montana. I _think_ this name is because of a spouting --
that is, artesian -- well or spring. Gazer Rob Haker wears a Geyser, MT
ballcap and probably has a more complete answer. (It's high school teams obviously
ought to be the Geyser Gazers -- but I wonder if the tiny burg has a high
school.)
-----------

As for Tibet, I have to wonder if John H. Hall Jr. has a copy of my book.
Pretty clear that he does not, as there is a good reference list that includes
Tibet, including the cited "Roof of the World" (which came out in 1982).

I would, however, be interested in having the citation for Shaller's book.
(Might it be his thing about the snow leopard?)

In fact, there are at least 9, maybe 10 geyser localities in Tibet --
depending some on just how one counts "localities" and upon interpretation of
"spouting springs" in a couple of cases. By the way, in reality only one (Tagyel
Chuja) is really in "proximity" to the Tsangpo River -- Tibet is a big placed and
what might look close on a map can actually be a significant journey. I won't
spill all my gold here, as I have recently come up with quite a lot of
significant info about these places. They are given here as Tibetan name (Chinese
name), number of reported geysers:
Peting Chuja (no? Chinese name), 12 or more
Naisum Chuja (no? Chinese name, or maybe Bibiling), 2
Tagyel Chuja (Tagajia), 4
Chabu (Capu), 2 or more
Buxiunglanggu (Gudui), more than 1
Kurme (Gurma), several small; and nearby Kau (Kew), 1
Gulu (Guhu), 2
Qupu (no? Chinese name), "spouting springs"
Yangpachen (that's the Chinese name), unknown but perhaps several. I list
Yangpachen last because 1) it is north of Lhasa and the northernmost of all
"known" Tibetan localities, 2) it might/probably does include the geyser described
by Harrer in "Seven Years in Tibet", and 3) very possibly is the "northern
Tibet" locale mentioned a number of times in the past few years. Also, it is the
ONLY Tibetan locality where the hot springs support any level of tourism. As
well as Tibet's only geothermal power plant.

Nevertheless, a 2002 Chinese report noted a "Yellowstone-scale" geyser field
in the mountains of northern Tibet. And then said nothing more. Who knows?