[Geysers] Pink Cone road bubblers (Stephens)

lynn stephens lstephens.eagle at mail.sisna.com
Tue Jun 7 20:14:53 PDT 2005

My observations over the past several years have indicated that the amount of time by which the Pink Cone road bubblers precede an eruption of Pink Cone is not the "constant" value in Pink Cone's interval.  Rather, Pink Cone road bubblers are like Riverside's overflow where the "constant" value is the time between the preceding eruption and the start of overflow/road bubblers.  With Riverside, the difference between "short" and "long" intervals is directly related to the length of the overflow.  Pink Cone's intervals don't have the same degree of bimodality that Riverside's intervals have had, but the same relationship has held for Pink Cone over the years I have been watching it.  Overflow/activity from the road bubblers starts about the same length of time after the preceding eruption.  In prior years the Pink Cone road bubblers have started about 17 to 18 hours after the preceding eruption.  (These are rough values since I'm doing this from work and don't have my logbooks
 with me.)  If Pink Cone has a "short" interval (under 17 hours for example), the road bubblers may not even be active prior to Pink Cone's eruption.  On the other hand, if Pink Cone has a "long" (22 hour interval), the road bubblers may be active for four hours prior to the eruption.  So, any value between 0 and 4+ hours would be consistent with values in recent years.

Lynn Stephens
6/7/05