[Geysers] June3-5

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed Jun 8 06:32:57 PDT 2005

In a message dated 6/7/2005 6:00:38 PM Mountain Standard Time,
seide1 at mindspring.com writes:

Scott  noted earlier a late Beehive time (VR) in the logbook
and discounted  it.  I'm not sure that's a good idea, but I have no real
proof.   However, on the fifth after a 0726 (I think, I forgot to write
it down)  Beehive I was on the hill prior to sunset.  The west bubbler
was ie at  about 2000, I saw the steam from it from over by Old Faithful
and went to  look at it.  Beehive was very wet with many splashes in the
next hour  and a half, some 2-4 feet over the cone and several feet out
from  Beehive.  On the 6th the log shows a morning eruption of Beehive
just  after 0800.  Seeing Beehive before it was completely dark, I  can't
believe it waited eleven hours to erupt.

I have said several times that we _think_ these are long intervals. The
overall behavior is what some call "winter mode" and in that mode Beehive can
(positively does) splash in its "normal" fashion starting some 6 to 10 hours
after an eruption and continues to do so until the next eruption -- which at
times this past winter was at intervals longer than 40 hours... It is therefore
very easy to believe that Beehive "waited eleven hours to erupt.

Let us also consider that Beehive has certainly _never_ undergone weeks of
consistent 10 to 12 hour interval. Is it possible that it is doing so now? Yes,
 of course. Is it likely? In my opinion, absolutely not.

And yes, the electronic monitor (presuming it is working) will hopefully
tell the tale.