[Geysers] Early engravings of Grotto

Meyer, Judith L jlm545F at smsu.edu
Fri Feb 18 05:34:47 PST 2005

Scott,
In answer to your questions:

Yes, you presume correctly regarding the dates.  I did transpose the 8
and 9.  It should have read 1880s and 1890s.

And no, I did NOT know about the 1874 "The Cave" by Riou!  Other than
the eBay auction, have you seen the text elsewhere?  I assumed Gibson
"lifted" the image from someone else, since he plays fairly loose and
free with other parts of his book, but I had no idea where.  Thanks for
pointing me in the right direction!

Judy Meyer

(Judith L. Meyer; Associate Professor, Geography.  Southwest Missouri
State University.  jlm545f at smsu.edu)