[Geysers] Geyser report 2/19/05

Mike Keller KSCOPE_YNP at peoplepc.com
Fri Feb 18 13:29:30 PST 2005

Some exciting stuff:

Silex Spring erupted today.  This is the first reported eruption since last
February.  It was seen at 1100 by a guide.  I arrived at Silex at 1210 and
stayed for about 90 minutes.  When I got there it was about 8 feet below
overflow, and when I left it was only 18" below overflow.  Every minute or
so there would be periods of superheated boiling to a couple of feet.
Celestine Pool was murky from debris washed into it, and frequently surging
up to 3 feet.

Old Cone Spring was in eruption at 1258, and Fountain Geyser started at
1316.  Another snowcoach guide told me that on Tuesday (2/15) Fountain was
in wild phase, but I have not been able to confirm this.

In the UGB:

Fan and Mortar erupted overnight 2/18-2/19.  The previous eruption was
overnight 2/14-2/15.

Grand erupted at 0437 (electronic) and at 1146 (N/T1Q).

Based upon lack of snow, Penta erupted sometime between 2/11 and 2/18.
Sawmill was active several times today.

Grotto was 0917ie, and appears to be in Marathon.

Giant had a strong hot period around 0740, and a smaller one around 1020.
Bijou was very weak at 1130.

MK