[Geysers] Exhibits new OFVEC

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Mon Feb 7 09:05:45 PST 2005

(No doubt I did something stoopid, but none of the e-mail I received
yesterday was saved by my computer, so...)

Tara Cross wrote that work on the new interpretive exhibits has been undrway
for months. Yes. Did I tell the tale about September-October 2002 (yes, that
far back) a gentleman in New York City contacted me. He is a designer for a
firm that has produced a great many interpretive displays for government
agencies, including NPS. He had been invited to attend a meeting in YNP regarding the
new OFVEC and, supposedly, would then be in a position to make a bid on the
job (and wished for my "expert" input). The last I heard from him was a letter
filled with disgust at Yellowstone inviting him, and prepresentatives of other
design corporations, to a meeting in the park when, in fact, the contract has
essentially already bee granted... He discussed a lawsuit, but I doubt that
that ever happened.,

Well, so all that is in the past. The designs are well in-progress. But does
that mean there can't be input, the opportunity to update, to modify, to
correct? Evidently there will be no such opportunity. But therefore everybody had
better believe: if I find new interpretive exhibits that have (for example)
backwards photos (such as the existing photos at Grotto and Riverside), or a
flat-out wrong photo (such as the photo of Opalescent Pool on the Biscuit Basin
sign), or incorrect/scientifically invalid statements, or any such et cetera,
you can be very certain that I will get as noisy as I possibly can. And it won't
be confined to this list, nor to Wyoming.

Now, please, two follow-up items:

1. So now the Bush Administratioin is announcing its proposed budget for the
next fiscal year, filled with huge cuts in some programs including, I'd almost
be willing to bet, the NPS. If so, does this in any way affect the funding
for the new OFVEC?

2. Tara encourages people to write, saying "those letters are read and
responded to." Responded to who? In the past two or three years, I have sent
comments to the park Supterintendent using the official form that is available in the
visitor centers. My understanding from when I worked in the park, and I would
presume still, is that any such submission is supposed to receive a written
reply (probably not from the Superintendent, but at least from somebody in
Admin). I have not received any reply whatsoever, including no reply to my
on-the-form complaint about not receiving replies!