[Geysers] 1955 Nevada map

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Mon Feb 7 22:27:26 PST 2005

It looks a little like 42W (not 24W), but I don't recall the
vegetation-covered area immediately behind it.  But then, I observed it in
the mid-80s, thirty years after this photo was taken.  The terrace was quite
active for most of this time, so changes in runoff and heat could affect the
vegetation.

I saw naturally occurring eruptions from 42w over 25 feet high, and when it
erupted in conjunction with the long fissure just to its east (I think it
was #11) the effect was one of the most remarkable of all geysers I've seen
- a sheet of water about eight feet high and 20 feet long, and next to it an
Aurum-like geyser.  'twas a very cool effect.

Paul Strasser

  _____