[Geysers] Pocket Basin

Will Moats gemstone at flash.net
Wed Aug 3 17:56:20 PDT 2005

Hello All,

Returned home from YNP this last Sunday (sigh...).

My son and I went to Pocket Basin on 7/27/05.  We saw Pocket Basin Geyser erupt at 10:33, 11:34, and 13:28, for intervals of 1-2 hours.  It would erupt about 3 minutes after reaching overflow.

We also noted that Brain Geyser is dormant.  Fortunately, Fortress Geyser was having some occasional large bursts 8-10 ft high.

We also video-taped a small geyser situated between two hot spring pools just above and east of Fortress Geyser.  Based on 3 eruptions observed, this small geyser would erupt about 2 ft high for approximately 4 minutes at intervals of about 12 minutes.

>From the east side of the river, we could see that Mound Geyser is active, looking much the same as in the past.

-- Will Moats