[Geysers] Heart Lake

Will Moats gemstone at flash.net
Wed Aug 3 18:26:35 PDT 2005

Hello all,

My son Steven (age 13) and I hiked to Heart Lake Geyser Basin on 7/28/05.
On the way in, we saw 2 doe and 1 buck deer.  Grizzly bear tracks were
present on the trail from where it drops steeply down from the overview
point at the ridge top to the Lower Group.  I guessed that the bear probably
went through the area the night before, given that the tracks were commonly
overprinted on the human-made tracks on the trail.

Rustic Group:

Rustic Geyser erupted at 10:36, 11:11, and 11:46.  We left at 12:30 without
seeing another eruption.

Composite Geyser - the pool would fill to the point where it would barely
overflow, but would then drain after Rustic erupted.  No eruptions seen.

Small UNNG geyser (HRG-P7) west of Composite - erupted 2-3 ft high for 10
minutes or so, then would stop erupting for about 20 seconds before starting
its play again.

*********
Fissure Group:

Splurger, Shell, Hooded Spring, HFG-P116, HFG-70, HFG-68, HFG-P35 were
active.  HFG-P51 and HFG-P52 were also active (weak splashing) probably as
perpetual spouters.

We did not see Glade erupt.  Although its cone and drainage channel were
bone dry, water was present in the vent.

-- Will Moats