[Geysers] Geyser report Norris August 3

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed Aug 3 10:59:25 PDT 2005

Well, one needs to check Norris now and then, so I spent a couple of hours
there this morning. Notes here about a lot of things but, in summary, Norris is
 Norris. In the order of my walk:

Rediscovered was inactive. Forgotten Fumarole appeared to have not erupted
in quite some time.

Monarch continues to have intermittent overflow accompanied by heavy
bubbling that falls short of what could be called a true eruption.

Corporal is active much as before, intermittent overflow accompanied by
bubbling and occasional small splashes. Most notable was that it was audibly
thumping the ground as the water rose.

Veteran was acting like a perpetual spouter.

Vixen is dormant, dry and quiet.

Porkchop was quiet but was very heavily overflowing opalescent water. The
spouter/geyser on its northwest side was inactive but appeared to perhaps be
acting as an intermittent spring.

Orby was vigorously active, bursting as high as 6 (maybe 8) feet with
intervals of about 1 minutes and durations of several minutes. Indeed, Orby was  the
best geyser I saw today.

Both Grandson... and Daughter of Green Dragon were non-splashing steamvents
while Son of Green Dragon was perpetually bursting several feet high.

Yellow Funnel was at a very low level, constantly bursting nearly clear
water 2 to 4 feet high.

I could see not water anywhere among the Hydrophane Springs.

Green Dragon, back inside the cavern, was very vigorous, with some bursts
actually hitting the roof of the cave.

Mud Spring was the prettiest pool at Norris, crystal clear and beautiful
blue-green.

But Mystic Spring was ugly brown. It is clearly still active as a geyser  but
apparently without overflowing, and it is depositing powdery sulphur in the
crater and on the sinter above its main vent.

Crater Spring is very high, clear and gently bubbling.

Echinus was overflowing. And overflowing. Later, it was overflowing.

Cistern was splashing. One I did not see was noisy enough to hear from
Steamboat's lower platform.

Steamboat was having mostly north vent jets. No solo south vent that I saw.
And I saw only a couple of "decent" concerted minors, but then the water
appeared not higher than halfway up the background trees (as viewed from the
lower platform).
------
Guardian remains a loud steam vent, as does Black Growler.

Ledge's main vent is still pushing a bit of water over the rim to form a
trickling flow.

I saw one eruption by Constant, and activity by what might be Fan. The Lava
Pool Complex is nearly dry, and Pinto was a quiet pool at a low level.

Sunday was bubbling. "Lambchop" was jetting 8 to 10 feet high from two
vents, and Incline was surging within its crater.

Notable is Congress Pool, which is completely full, opaque blue and  bubbling
while producing significant overflow -- enough to run all the way to  the
floor of Porcelain Basin at a rate of around 40 or 50 gallons per  minute.