[Geysers] Norris April 25

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Tue Apr 26 16:27:09 PDT 2005

A brief visit to Norris, one on which I did not intend to linger over
anything (and didn't), so a brief overview.

In Porcelain Basin things are, unfortunately, about the same as they were in
2004. Very little activity. The tallest eruption I saw hit all of 3 feet --
some steam things were taller and noisy, the loudest being Guardian and a vent
near Incline. Up through the woods, I found that Bear Den's vent is entirely
invisible under boulders and that Ebony was a pool of tepid, ugly brown water.
The blue, overflowing Congress Pool was about 1 foot below overflow and
greenish brown. I saw no Constant, Fireball, Arsenic, Fan, Whirligig, etc.

The Back Basin, especially out between Porkchop and Green Dragon is kind of
fun. Many very noisy steam vents, muddy spouters and such. Porkchop was
splashing up to 3 feet, Peral easily to 8 feet, and there was water around the vent
of Vixen. Son of Green Dragon was splashing 4 to 6 feet high, Grandson 3 or 4
feet high. Mystic was quiet. Echinus was in overflow. Steamboat seemed to be
mostly concerted, north vent stronger but neither vent ever reaching more than
half as high as the background trees; I judged the runoff at the bottom of the
hill to be significantly less than in 2004.

Perhaps the biggest news there -- Monarch may be up to something. I don't
know what, but on my arrival I found the vent splashing 1 to 2 feet high at the
same time that water was draining back to the vent, stopping all overflow and
revealing what appeared to be fresh and vigorously washed clay. However, I saw
no evidence of splashing beyond the crater.