[Geysers] Geyser report April 23

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sat Apr 23 16:48:33 PDT 2005

I left the Upper Basin rather early today, to spend time elsewhere, so what I
have to report is only up to about 1400. Besides, the weather wasn't so nice
-- not too cold (in the 50s), but lots of cloud and some strong wind.

First, a correction on the data for Grand, and bringing it up to date, too.
Turns out that the electronic monitor was recording Standard, not Daylight,
Time. So reality is:
4/22
0103e
0924, I = 8h 21m (G1C)
1844, I = 8h 20m
4/23/2005
0340e, I = 8h 56m
1010, I = 6h 30m (T2Q)
sounds somewhat better, huh?

For today:
Beehive -- 1847 yesterday, then 1059 today, I = 16h 12m. Today's indicator
was something longer than 12 minutes. During the eruption close-to-cone
indicator jetted as high as 4 feet until the normal Beehive's Indicator quit. West
bubbler was active fully 3+ hours earlier.

Plume -- continues short, regular intervals. One of today's was 57 minutes.

Aurum -- interval of 3h 41m

Uncertain was seen at 1003, during recovery from a deep drain.

Oblong is being very consistent at 3 to 3 1/2 hours -- today's intervals were
3h 28m and 3h 16m.

The only Daisy interval I got was 2h 27m.

Grotto was in marathon, so nothing but gentle steam from Giant.

Apparently this was posted sometime and I missed that at Midway, Opal Pool is
totally empty and cold -- not steam visible on even the coldest days.

Potential big news -- Silex Spring is doing something. It evidently has not
erupted but it is having cyclic boiling vigorous enough to given the pool a
turbid greenish appearance. At 0724 today I could hear the runoff from down by
Celestine, but by the time I got up to Silex the water level was down about 3
inches. Nothing that extreme was seen during the rest of the day to
mid-afternoon. But again, it's up to something. Also, Celestine was boiling this afternoon.

And we still have nothing on Fountain. It _may_ have been seen (as a
billowing steam cloud through the fog) today at 0802 ie. If that is so, then judging
by its appearance around 1300, it is having long intervals. (The formations
were dry, Spasm and Twig were silent, and Jet was having intervals of 20 or so
minutes.)

Most likely I'll visit Norris tomorrow.