[Geysers] Norris = lots of Quakes in US Saturday & Sunday? (Frangos)

V ynp4me at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 23 01:19:00 PDT 2004

Not only is it interesting how many quakes in
CA there were that day.. there was also one in
Alaska which was 6.2

Here's the story on the Study of Alaska earthquakes
and Yellowstone Geysers from June of this year...

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/MediaAlerts/2004/2004052717072.html

Were there other obvious disturbances besides
in Norris on Saturday or Sunday?

In regards to Greg's mention of the Volcanic
systems... here's a few links to info on the
Mammoth Mountain and surrounding area
(in CA)....

Maps of Long Valley Caldera
and the Mono-Inyo Craters Volcanic Chain
http://lvo.wr.usgs.gov/images/maps/index.html

and

http://lvo.wr.usgs.gov/Current_Conditions.html

Updated at 9:00 AM (PDT) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004:

Earthquake activity within and adjacent to Long Valley
caldera remains low with only one magnitude M=0.9
earthquake detected and located by the realtime
computer system since the last update on Sept. 21.
The event was located to the south of the caldera
in the Sierra Nevada range.

Elsewhere, the earthquake swarm beneath the Adobe Hill
18 miles east of Mono Lake continues into day five. It has
included over 500 earthquakes since its inception shortly
after midnight on Sept. 18.

Twenty eight of these have had magnitudes of M=3.0 or
greater and six have had magnitudes of M=4.0 or greater.
The two largest earthquakes were of magnitudes M=5.5
and M=5.4 occurring at 4:02PM and 4:43 PM on the 18th.
The largest of the most recent events were two magnitude
M=3.0 earthquakes, which occurred at 10:43 PM on the
21st and 2:29 AM on the 22nd.

It's always interesting....

Vicky

--- Greg Wimpey <gwimpey at mines.edu> wrote:
> The total is now over 600 with quakes continuing at a rate of a few
> an hour.  There were a 5.5 and a 5.4 on 9/18 and a 4.8 on 9/20.
Perhaps