[Geysers] Geyser Report: Norris 9/27 and 9/29 during the disturbance

Graham Meech meechg at erols.com
Thu Oct 14 17:53:05 PDT 2004

A message from Graham Meech meechg at erols.com

This is rather dated now especially as the disturbance is well over but I
had two interesting days in Norris.  This was the first time I had been
there when a disturbance had been taking place.  As reported before,
Guardian was a noisy big steam vent both days.  The geyser in the vicinity
of ‘Rediscovered Geyser’ had ceased erupting before I got there although
there was a lot of talk about it and I could hear another geyser splashing
downhill in the trees between Rediscovered and the Museum.

Yellow Funnel Spring was erupting continuously from a low pool level.

I watched two eruptions of Rubble, interval of 2h 13m, duration 2m 30s & 2m
40s, height only about 3’, angled away from the bank.  There was heavy
overflow for about a minute before the eruption.  For the first eruption it
took 1h 5m from the time the runoff started to go under the bridge to the
time of the eruption.

On 9/27 Pearl was erupting from a full pool.  I had seen Pearl erupt before
but not like this.  I had seen it have weak splashy full pool eruptions
before but this year it was a violent surging geyser and the highest
splashes were about 6’ high.  On 9/29 Pearl was a noisy forceful steam vent.
Quite a change from what I had seen before.

Echinus became regular again during the disturbance, erupting at predictable
intervals of about 3 ½ hours but I did not see any of the eruptions.

Vixen was active with intervals of 2-14 minutes.  The few long intervals
followed minors over 1 minute long while most minors were 10-30 seconds
long.

Veteran took a long time to build to a major (> 2 hours) with each minor
filling the pool more.  The resulting major eruption was strong, lasting 4
minutes, pausing for 2 minutes and then resuming for another minute (again,
something I had not see it do before).

In Porcelain Basin on 9/27, Whirligig had an interval of about 3h 34m
(1022ie, 1356)

Fireball was quiet for a couple of hours and then had the following series
of eruptions:

1232 d=7

1252 d=24

1324 d=13 (weak)

Constant had a series of 7 single eruptions at intervals of 26-31 minutes
and finished with a two eruption series before I left the area.

Arsenic erupted 1249, d=8.

That’s it for now.