[Geysers] Geyser Report 5/29 (Stephens)

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Sun May 29 18:19:59 PDT 2016

This post is for the personal use of the readers of this listserv and it not to be reproduced for any other purpose, including publication in The Sput without permission from the author.

Today's weather was nice--fairly comfortable except for the chilly wind in the Lower Basin this afternoon.

I started the day with the observation that Fountain had already finished at 0500.  If I hadn't stopped to walk up there to make on sight observations, I might have caught the beginning of this morning's Till major.  Quintuple interval averaged 10h42m.  Using the time for this morning though I was able to get this afternoon's eruption.  Duration was once again 35 minutes, pause was 20 minutes, and the first minor lasted 8 minutes.  I did not stay to collect additional data because I wanted to get back to get Pink Cone's duration.

I drove past Lemon Spring 5 or 6 times and it was full and overflowing each time.

Rocco got overflow on Great Fountain this morning.  Time from start of overflow to 1 meter boil was 87 minutes.  It was a pretty eruption with sun and some blue bubbles.  The 4th burst only lasted 4 minutes and there wasn't a fifth burst, so I estimate Great Fountain will erupt in the first half of the window this evening.

White Dome had an interval of at least 87 minutes this morning.

Pink Cone's interval was 25h23m.  Duration today was 107 minutes.

I recorded an interval of Pink that was 5h44m.  Duration of the first eruption was 8 minutes.  The second eruption had a pause at the 3 minute mark, but then resumed with a second burst so total duration was 7 minutes.

Mike F. and Barbara L. saw an eruption of Labial at 1245.  The length of time between my observation yesterday and their observation today could be consistent with about a 6 hour average if the interval was a quadruple, 8 hour average if it was a triple interval.  Either one is consistent with intervals for prior years.  (A quintuple of 5 hour average would be 5 intervals on the very short end of the distribution of intervals.)

Erin, Cassidy, Connor and I saw a coyote today walking along the ridge line near Labial.  Rocco and I listened to a pair or two of sandhill cranes calling to each other this morning.  Their location combined with the otherwise stillness of the morning caused the calls to reverberate around the hills, making it seem that we were surrounded by fifty or so pair of sandhills.  The other sound that caught my attention today was the sound of frogs croaking at Whiskey Flats.

Lynn Stephens