[Geysers] new thing near Plume, and Ballcap query

M.A. Bellingham mabellingham at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 07:49:47 PST 2016

Thanks for the replies on the "thing near Plume".  What I gather is
Janet W saw it on June 18, Carol B on June 10, and Will B said it was
probably erupting when the Lodge opened in May.  So for anyone
tracking it, I'd say Spring of '15 is a good start date.   I read all
GT entries for "Other Geyser" for 2015 and found no information there.

>From a winter trip Will reported the sinter plate around it pulsing up
and down, so it's
anyone's guess what we will see in April. Reading chat logs I gather
it can be seen on the webcam, but that could depend on conditions.

As to Ballcap, it's really interesting to track information and name
changes, see Rocco's detailed work on Norris names on nearly any given
feature!  What *I* was told about the current "Ballcap" is that the
water domes up in the shape of a half head, or ballcap.  I do not
recall who told that to me, but it's interesting given the physical
and nomenclature evolution of any feature, be it information or
misinformation.

I sent a similar query about the breakout history of the "thing near
Sponge" - given the quirky nature of listserv I thought I'd ask if
that message went out.

Thanks,
MA

M.A. Bellingham