[Geysers] Geyser Report Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Barbara Lasseter barbara.lasseter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 16:17:34 PDT 2016

Geyser Report Tuesday, July 12, 2016

I stayed home Sat-Sun for anticipated wet, cold, and windy weather and
prepared for family visit this coming weekend.  WY did get snow over the
weekend, but in West Yellowstone it was mostly rain. The windshield
defroster (30 degrees going in the AM) was warm enough to pop my "sealed"
crack open, so I returned to get it resealed before it ran the entire width
of the windshield.

Going in again at 0830 was no problem at the West Gate, and traffic did
move continuously, if slowly, the entire way to the LGB.  Maureen Edgerton
met me at Whiskey Flat with a 30-40 minute window for Great Fountain
(0956).  I stayed only for the first series, anticipating a crowd getting
into Fountain. (1051 d=27).  Twig started at 1111.  The first Jet I saw was
1115.  No Super Frying Pan or Spasm seen. Heavy steam blocked any view of
Morning's Thief for me.  The last report I heard on Fountain was 2001
yesterday.  My last 2 Fountain eruptions have been extrapolated from 3
eruptions prior, and the avg 5hr window has been within a few minutes each
time.

I was cautioned by a ranger for not having all 4 tires off the roadway
Saturday as I waited on the roadside at Pink Cone.  Crowds at Great
Fountain would be quite limited if that were enforced there.

The group of bison off the road just W of Madison Campground had inbound
traffic backed up for over a mile as I returned to West after Fountain.

Overheard over the past week:
On Geyser Hill--"Double-up Pool" (thumping)
At Fountain:  (looking at the white sinter surrounding Fountain) "Is that
ice?")
By tour guide:  "Fountain erupts for 45-50 minutes every 12hours."

The cool weather has delayed the chip sealing from Madison to OF that was
to have started yesterday.  Warmer weather is expected by week's end,
however.  After my granddaughters leave, I'm planning activities that take
me in a different direction.

Barbara Lasseter