[Geysers] Black Growler 1977

M.A. Bellingham mabellingham at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 10:12:08 PST 2016

First, be advised that the address I formerly used for listserv is not
the way to reach me these days.

Facebook members may have read this before, but the listsev is a
better place to record some items for the historic record.

We all (I think!) have known that the original Black Growler was oft
described as near the stage road, and the energy has shifted around
over the years.   Since I have known it, it has been located on the
ridge between Valentine and Ledge/Jetsam.  Below is what I found in
the archives on a visit to the HRC.

Norris Annual report 1977 Tom Pittinger

"In view of the mobile history of Black Growler, it is tempting to
speculate that the new steam vent between Valentine and Ledge might be
the most recent oriface [sic] for this feature."

Later on in the same report -

"3. LEDGE GEYSER surprised everyone when it erupted on June 26 early
in the morning. That was the first known eruption since July 8, 1975.
By the first week of July, Ledge was splashing around as if it were
going to erupt.  Instead, on July 9, a powerful fumarole emerged on
the ridge separating Valentine and Ledge alcoves. An area with a
radius of approximately ten feet was coated with a gray colored
sediment indicating that the initial activity must have been quite
powerful.  This vent does not seem to be affected by eruptions from
either of the nearby geysers.  On July 24, Ledge had its second,and
last eruption of the summer. This one occurred at noon and was
observed by may visitors.  Once again the vents filled within a few
days of the eruption and started splashing.  However, in early
September all activity ceased and the vents drained."

Reading these reports interesting discussions about naming surfaced,
naturalists at the time were calling it "Heir of Black Growler",
"Descendent of Black Growler" and others, but I guess Black Growler
eventually won out.

I like the phrase "mobile history" since that may be happening, again, and
I love knowing the specific date/year  that the last incarnation of BG
broke out.

MA

M.A. Bellingham