[Geysers] Yellowstone Wildlife

sgryc at comcast.net sgryc at comcast.net
Fri Sep 18 07:33:01 PDT 2015

I saw lots of bison on my visit to the park last week and endured many a traffic back-up when people would stop their cars in the middle of the lane to gaze or when a bison would stop in the middle of the road to do likewise. The best wildlife moment came in the Fountain Flats parking area. Near the road and parking lot there were plenty of bison including an enormous bull who was guarding a female with calf. The herd wandered down to the big bend in the Firehole River below the parking lot. An enormous white wolf appeared on the other side of the river and proceeded to cross where the bison were. The bison didn’t seem to notice him until he came onto their shore. The startled bison ran a bit, but it was clear that the wolf wasn’t interested in the bison as he trotted off away from the river. I could see that the wolf was limping a bit, so he was in no shape to do any mischief. I had never gone to Lamar Valley early in the morning to see wolves, so the magnificent white loner was the first wolf I had seen in the park.

I also took a leisurely stroll with a heron as he walked up the Firehole River between Bend Cone and the bridge to the Mallard Lake Trail. He was on the opposite side of the river and seemed to take no notice of me as I shot video of him. He was intent on fishing but caught nothing while I watched him.

Steve Gryc