[Geysers] Geyser Report 6/11/2015 (Stephens)

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 11 20:34:21 PDT 2015

I added data for three series of Gemini today. I haven't seen any of the looong overflows in the past two days.  I haven't entered the data into my spreadsheet yet, so will use some summary statisstics as of 6/10 observations.  Intervals from initial to initial (n = 25) have a mean of 4h39m, and vary from a minimum of 3h34m to a closed interval of 7h43m although I am certain some of the intervals with the super long overflows exceeded 9 hours.   Maureen and I saw a series that consisted of only three eruptions this evening, only the second series of 3 I have observed.  Mean number of bursts as of yesterday (n=38) is 5.29 bursts, with a median of 5 bursts.  Those values were based on observations of:           Number in Series       Number of Observations                    3                                 1                    4                                 10                    5                                 12                    6                                 10                    7                                 5                    8                                 1    Thus, the distribution of bursts approximates a normal distribution, only slightly skewed to the right.        Intervals between eruptions within a series show no pattern whatsoever.  About all I can say is that intervals vary from a minimum of just under 4 minutes to a maximum just under 16 minutes with a mean and maximum just over 8 1/2 minutes. I went over to Fountain this afternoon, hoping its interval would be short enough that I could get back to Gemini at the  3 1/2 hour mark.  Fountain didn't cooperate, so I only watched the first few minutes.  The boardwalk looked crowded toward Twig and the overlook so I decided to walk past Clepsydra and back to the parking lot using the lower route.  I was rewarded with an eruption of Jelly at 1656ie, 5 minutes after the start of Fountain. While I was waiting for Fountain, one visitor asked me if Spasm erupted all the time the way it was doing now.  Placement of the Spasm sign is STILL confusing visitors.  They think Clepsydra is Spasm because the first sign they see is Spasm and they apply it to Clepsydra's eruption, even when Spasm is having one of its low, boiling eruptions. The red tailed hawk and mountain bluebirds were flying around the meadows again.  Visitors keep stopping in the middle of the road to get their pictures of elk and bison from the car, even though one car was less than 10 feet from a pull-out this morning. Too bad I didn't get my picture of "A woman on Crack" posted on Facebook before the decision was made to post any more pictures of visitors off boardwalk. I'm making a trip to Bozeman tomorrow so won't be in the park.   My "new" pickup which will be one-year old on Saturday, needs its 25,000 mile maintenance visit to a dealer.  This will be the fifth maintenance visit (recommended every 5000 miles for my vehicle), and the fifth dealer that has serviced it--one in Montana, one in northwestern Oregon, one in western Washington, one in southeastern Washington, and only one in Spokane, which is near where my stick house is located. Lynn Stephens