[Geysers] Geyser Report Friday, July 17, 2015

Barbara Lasseter barbara.lasseter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 17:38:15 PDT 2015

Geyser Report Friday, July 17, 2015

First, corrections.  Yesterday I reported Beehive at 0535.  It erupted at 0353.
Also, the electronic Great Fountain reported as 2345E on 7/15 should
have been 0345E on 7/16.  Both numbers had been correct on Geyser
Times.  I got sloppy and in too much of a hurry.

AND, when I went to Norris to check on Ledge at the 3+ day interval,
the toilet paper worked just fine.

Re: Ledge
This AM, at 3+ days post eruption, it looked much as it did on the AM
of 7/12 4+ days post eruption.  White vent was more active with
periodic hissing steam.  Red vent had periodic gentle steam releases.
The water level in Jetsam was lower, barely any visible at all, and
the shoulder vent was spitting water.  Water level in the Pit was
about the same--a bit higher if anything, but still with an extensive
mudflat.  The "spitter" from the wall behind the Pit was steaming, no
noticeable water being thrown out.

The Porcelain Basin trail was open.  The boardwalk is higher above the
ground in some stretches.  There are a bump-outs by Sunday Geyser,
Constant, and Pinwheel.  No benches!  Fencing runs out to the far end
of Sunday Geyser, and from Whirligig around the corner to the trees
past Pinwheel.  The spur to Pinwheel is eliminated.  The fence there
should discourage visitors from that Oh-so-tempting hill.  It appears
they have addressed the places where footprints collected.  When the
new wood ages it should be less of a scar on the basin, especially
with no fence thru the central portion.  Now if we can just have that
bench back at Constant!  All in all, I'll bet this functions better
than the new boardwalk at Fountain.

Midway was closed today until 0700 tomorrow--"parking lot and
boardwalk".  BUT if you park along the road to the south, you can walk
into the basin, avoiding the parking lot.  There were lots of people
on that "closed" boardwalk, probably enjoying having fewer folks on
the trail.

Beehive: 1527 GT (Indicator @ 1452 GT)
Grand: (yesterday @ 2355E), 0701E, 1327 GT  (clock on the monitor may
be off a bit--electronic time was before the observed start by 1 min
at 1656-1657 yesterday.  VC is aware and may make an adjustment)
Oblong: 0507ie GT, 1034 GT
Riverside: 1445GT
Artemisia: 1312 ie GT
Fountain: 0747ie (Lynn Stephens), 1248ns
Great Fountain 0120E  prediction was 1200 plus/minus 2hr.  Was not in
overflow at 1300 when I left.
"Rejuvenated": 0755ie, 0823
Pink Cone: 0732ns by Lynn

Cooler today and mostly overcast and breezy this AM.   Not very
July-ish, but I love it.

Barbara Lasseter