[Geysers] Geyser Report Thursday, July 9, 2015

Barbara Lasseter barbara.lasseter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 19:34:28 PDT 2015

Geyser Report Thursday, July 9, 2015

A visitor quote from 6-27-15 while granddaughter, Abby, and I were
waiting for Ledge (by an adult male as he looked out on the Porcelain
Basin):  "I'll go by the rules here"

The heat wave last week had passed.  Rain today interfered with my
computer reception, but I seem to have a connection now.  The car
thermometer was flashing "ice" as I entered the park just before 0600,
but I never saw a temp reading below 37 degrees.  There was fog from
Fountain Flat past the steel bridge.  I dug out a fleece the last 2
AMs.

The social trails up the bluff behind Grand Prismatic had no hiking
posted on each one last week.  The low point of the day was seeing
(and hearing) a dog get scalded in a hot spring at the NE corner of
the steel bridge.  Firehole Lake Drive was a sticky mess during the
heat wave, but had sand applied sometime since.   Combined with cooler
weather, it was quite respectable today.  Much of the resurfacing that
has been done recently still needs road paint.  The lower store lot
did get parking lines painted, eliminating 2 spaces at the corner of
the store, presumably to facilitate buses turning.  No cross walks in
the lot were painted, so pedestrians beware.

I went to the hill by way of the Old Faithful bridge this AM just to
see the trail up from the bridge since the asphalt was removed.  Not
sure what the new surface will be.  A grizzly at Liberty pool caused a
stir yesterday AM.  It hung around a while.

We had several encounters with a bison herd in the Fountain Flat area
last week.  Fortunately, most visitors were NOT stopped on the road
(at least when I went by), and the big grins on their faces made the
delays more tolerable.

This AM, Beehive appeared to have erupted overnight, and Grand was not
anticipated for some time, so I spent my morning at Artemisia.
(1038--enjoyed by nearly a dozen gazers)

My plan to stop at Fountain was changed when the rain started as I
approached, and it has been off and on since.

Grand: 0257E, 1045 frs
Castle had a minor at 0924 frs
Great Fountain: overflow 0935 frs, eruption 1101 frs
Atomizer minor 0631  and major at 0750 per Chris Daubert

Newspaper says visitation is up again this summer.  You should see the crowds!

Lots of "new" gazer faces arrived while I was being Grandma.  I'm
looking forward to catching up.

Barbara Lasseter