[Geysers] Possible sources of Oblong info

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Thu Jul 9 08:10:35 PDT 2015

Yep, I have it, Transactions v. 1, pages 84-85. Interesting recollections.
The first known Oblong series were in 1986, not 1988.

In July 1988 (the only month for which I had detailed info), Oblong's
intervals ranged from a short of 15h 54m to 47h 30m; these intervals are known
singles from the use of runoff channel markers. The mean interval (which was
 all-but-meaningless given the range) was 30h 58m.

During that month, there were six recorded cases where an Oblong eruption
was followed by a short-interval follow-up eruption. These six intervals
were 2h  14m, 2h 14m [yes, two identical values], 2h 04m, ~2h 05m, and <3h.
There was  one recorded case of a second follow-up eruption, when the second of
those 2h  14m intervals saw a third eruption just 33 minutes later.

In the text, I wrote: "As first seen during 1986, Oblong may have a series
of eruptions rather than a single isolated play." Then, after listing the
follow-up eruptions of July 1988, I stated: "These values in each case are
entirely in accord with the observations of 1986-87."

Scott Bryan

In a message dated 7/8/2015 11:11:55 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,