[Geysers] Oblong Data from Landis and Bryan

JEFFREY CROSS jeff.cross at utah.edu
Thu Jul 9 06:04:17 PDT 2015

Scott Bryan reports in his Transactions I (1989) article that series were seen 5 times in July, 1988.  "The geyser is extremely regular within these series.  The first intervals (those from the first to the second eruption) were 2h14m, 2h14m, 2h04m, and 2h05m.  Only one second interval, of 33m, was recorded.  These values in each case are entirely in accord with the observations of 1986-87."

Quoting from Phil's 1988 report:

"These initial eruptions... lasted an average of 7 minutes.  The second eruption of a series followed in an average 2h 14m.  These [2nd] eruptions usually occurred from a pool level near rim top, though on occasion from a level 1-2 feet down or an overflowing pool.  Second eruptions of the series were generally stronger than the first and had a longer average duration of 8 minutes."  "Third eruptions of a series followed the second after an average interval of 35 minutes, and had durations of only 6 1/2 minutes.  Now the pool took 3-4 hours to recover to near rim top.  During the first half of the summer there was only one eruption per series.  From August on there was the possibility of a second or maybe even a third eruption, though the single eruptions were still common.  The average interval between observed series (start to start) was 25 hours."  Landis cites 4 instances of a 3rd eruption occurring.

I'm surprised that Landis said this type of activity began only in August, as I remember sitting at Fan and Mortar in July and seeing people run off toward Grotto every time a steam cloud was sighted from Oblong, with comments being made that series from Oblong were a new observation.

Jeff Cross
jeff.cross at utah.edu