[Geysers] Geyser Report Monday, August 17, 2015

Barbara Lasseter barbara.lasseter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 13:01:02 PDT 2015

Geyser Report Monday, August 17, 2015

30 degrees going in this AM 0600-0630.  Both the Fountain Paint Pot and
Black Sand Basin parking lots were closed in the AM and just after noon as
I returned.  Visitors were not dissuaded!  The jam at Fountain put the
steel bridge area to shame--parking on both sides of the loop road with
cars ALMOST off the road itself, and visitors crossing between Silex and
the mudpots from the loop road to the boardwalk.  No attempt to monitor or
control.  I wonder if the rangers were even aware.  I saw a worker carrying
a large turn arrow stencil as I passed fountain, so perhaps it was more
road painting.  In that case, tomorrow should be back to normal.

I saw a small bison herd yesterday on fountain flat--can they be back
already?  While waiting for Castle, a bison walked down the bike path thru
the crowd.  Some visitors seemed to think it was the Yellowstone running of
the bulls as they walked backwards in front of him or beside him, taking
photos. He passed without any harm.

The lower gas station has changed their opening from 0700 to 0730.

Elk are gathering in the Madison meadows--I've seen just cows and calves so
far.

We have had significant smoke haze in recent days.  Today seemed more
severe.  I didn't notice the smell of smoke, but my eyes were burning
before the morning was over--no crystal blue skies, and very hazy views
even relatively nearby.  I haven't seen fires reported in Yellowstone, but
3 Forks, MT and elsewhere in W MT and across the west are having
significant fires.

Beehive: 0348ns per Rocco Paperiello
Grand: 0818 T2Q--just 2h after overflow
Castle: 1123.
Riverside: 0848
Daisy: 0835, 1106ns frs
Artemisia 0807ie by steam cloud
Fountain: appeared to be ie at 0623--please allow for the steam obscuring
visibility
Great Fountain: 0701 p=8
"Rejuvenated" 0636ie, 0707
Rocket Major 0841ns
Dome: 1012 per Steve Robinson frs
White Dome: 0642
Flood: 0726ie
Tilt's Baby: 0834 frs
Uncertain: 1128 (Steve Robinson)
Gizmo: 1011ie, 1038, 1104

Hope we all get some fire-dampening rains!

Barbara Lasseter