[Geysers] Trader Joes ad

Ott, Stephen OTTS at byui.edu
Sun Apr 5 15:16:39 PDT 2015

Theoretically, this is possible but it does still have problems.

If you electrolyzed pure water (from reverse osmosis), you would produce only hydrogen gas and oxygen gas and pure water would remain.  However, pure water is such a non-conducting substance that I've never heard of it.  Maybe high voltages would cause it to occur.

If you really didn't purify the water very well (contrary to the claim), then it is possible that one hydrogen atom in each of two different HOH (H2O) molecules would be reduced to H2 gas and that another impurity would be oxidized such as chloride ion (Cl-) to chlorine gas, Cl2.  This leaves the other OH in the HOH to become OH-, which makes the solution basic, which raises the pH.  To raise the pH to 9.5 would be significant, but theoretically possible.  This electrolysis would take enough electricity that this would not be a cheap process.

As already mentioned, how could you have "electrolytes" after you had purified it with reverse osmosis?

Why would you want basic water doing it this expensive method?  Just add a little sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to water and it dissolves nicely to give a basic solution and it is a descent antacid for upset stomach.

Stephen Ott
BYU-Idaho Chemistry Department