[Geysers] undetermined Geyser Hill erupter

Stjohn, James stjohn.2 at osu.edu
Thu Sep 25 18:38:37 PDT 2014

A geyser that I cannot identify for certain, east of the Lion Geyser-Goggles Spring area - possibly Kitten Geyser - possibly (?) North Goggles Geyser - erupted for <1 minute at 1855 today (25 September 2014) - I observed it unambiguously via the Old Faithful webcam.  The vent was just to the left (as seen on webcam) of the signpost at the Geyser Hill Trail-Sawmill Group Trail intersection next to North Goggles Geyser - I could not determine with certainty if the erupter was in front of (east of) the boardwalk or behind (west of) the boardwalk - but it appeared to be in front of the boardwalk (Kitten Geyser area).  Eruption column was appreciably taller than nearby signpost.  Smaller eruptions, indicated by noticable steam plumes and apparent water spouting, occurred at the same site at 1904 and 1916 (there was little to no steam from the site during in-between times), and also at an unrecorded time between 1904 and 1916.  The webcam moved away from the area after 1916.

Best,

James St. John

(Geology, Ohio State University at Newark)

stjohn.2 at osu.edu