[Geysers] Entrance and Backcountry Fee

seeyellowstone at aol.com seeyellowstone at aol.com
Sat Nov 29 05:04:52 PST 2014

In 1996, the government allowed to Yellowstone and Grand to keep 80% of the revenue, "above an beyond" what was brought in in 1996.  I don't remember what the figure was in 1996, but the amount collected in 1996 is the amount the park has to pay the general fund, before YELL & GRTE can start keeping 80%.  This is still the case.  My point is if all of the national parks were to keep all of the money they brought in, instead of paying the 1996 income first, we wouldn't need to raise rates & parks wouldn't be so underfunded.  Look into it, YELL &GRTE still pay the 1996 income, before they can keep 80% of the gate fees.  I was not stating there is a cap at 80 million, I was using 80 million as an estimate of how much money is actually brought in at the gate at $25 per car and $300 per bus.  I'm trying to point out that the parks bring in a lot of money before they are allowed to keep any.  You could possibly find out the formula at the VSO office.  But if you think about it, the parks say they will have about 3 million with the gate increase, realistically, 3 million is a lot less than 80% of the gate fees.

Jim