[Geysers] Entrance and Backcountry Fee

michellechristine08 at gmail.com michellechristine08 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 00:35:40 PST 2014

There is not an exact plan yet for where the extra revenue will go, but they hope to use a portion of it for gill netting in Yellowstone Lake as well as setting some aside for a rehabilitation fund.

Also, just a note on the parking areas at FPP and Midway. The reason that those parking
lots are not expanded has nothing to do with funding. Therefore, you should not expect that to be in the plans for extra revenue. Expanding parking areas in protected areas like our national parks is pretty complicated, involving environmental impact statements and other plans that take years to complete. In Yellowstone, you also have to take into account the thermal areas that lie close to those parking lots. If those parking area were being built today, they would never be where they are. They are already too close to thermal areas, so expanding them is out of the question. It stinks, but it is true.

As far as the entrance fee increase goes, the fact is that our national parks need more money. Thankfully, Yellowstone was not impacted too much by the sequester a couple years back (because it is such a popular and large park) but visitor centers all over the nation were closed and important jobs cut. Unless parks get more money, actions like that will become much more common. As was stated earlier, short of changes in federal government funding, there really aren't a lot of other ways to get that extra money. They have to do what they have to do.

For those that are interested, there are days that the national parks allow free entrance. For those that truly cannot afford the entrance fee, I am sure they can plan their trips to coincide with those days, especially if they live within short driving distance. The NPS advertises those days on their website.

Michelle Eide