[Geysers] Entrance and Backcountry Fee (Young)

Jacob Young jakefrisbee at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 19 20:37:36 PST 2014

Karen et al,This was discussed.  The response from Iobst was along the lines of, yes, it does hurt the poor, but for all but a few of Yellowstone visitors who live in gateway communities, the entrance fee increase as a portion of the overall trip cost is minimal.
The commenter agreed, but also lamented the cost of park lodging going up too.
Someone did ask this question as a hypothetical: How much would the entrance fee have to be to cover YNP Federal revenues in the case of a total gov't shutdown?  Iobst was pretty quick with the math: about $200 per vehicle--that's roughly the number I came up with too looking at their park revenue handout.  It was a pie chart showing the $70 million of income Yellowstone receives annually.  About 75% ($52.3 million) of that is Federal taxpayer money.  10% of the total comes from entrance fees ($6.7M in 2014), which is the only piece of the pie that they have some control over.  That's why they're proposing the increase that is expected to generate an additional $3 million.  He said they do not expect a decrease in visitation because of the entrance fee increase.  The $70 million figure EXCLUDES Federal Highway construction and Concessioner construction, which are not small amounts.
FYI, there's still time to mail in your comments, postmarked by Dec. 5.

Jake